Saturday, April 25, 2009

'A full' (pronouced 'a fool')

Dear people who know me,

Remember when I used to speak English and could write coherently? That was fun. I have a cold so I’m finally letting myself sit down for the time that it takes to communicate with the world. I don't even know what occupies all my time anymore. Always something it feels like. I guess I actually have school now with midterms coming up and que sé yo... I don't have a routine per se, but I don't have as fresh a pair of eyes as I did when I first arrived. I walk down the street without as much uncertainty because I know the camino. The words ‘ay perdón’ automatically come out when I bump into someone rather than having to think about the correct Spanish word for excuse me (there are at least three). I can distinguish between haircuts rather than categorizing them all as mullets. And I’m sure there are a million things that have been ingrained, things that have happened, that don't even register anymore. It’s not that the novelty of being here has worn off at all - I still feel like I have to savor every second, which is why being sick is kind of depressing – but I’ve definitely acclimated a but in the last two months or so.

So besides the usual going to class, speaking Spanish, making a fool of myself life that I live on a daily basis, I also went to Mendoza a few weeks a ago. (wow it's really been that long!)... it was a beautiful trip filled with mountains and nature and free wine provided by our hostel. One day we did a bike ride through the bodegas (vineyards), which was very exciting because of my biking predilection. I was there with three friends who all knew how to ride horses and we went on a breathtaking ride through some nature and mountains. Even though I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, my horse really liked leading the pack, so it was rather hilarious when towards the end we started running back to the meeting place. Due to inexperience, I just bounced along, laughing hysterically, which all of my horse-experienced friends found amusing. So that was lovely, but the last day my friend got her purse ripped off her shoulder by what appeared to be some sort of motorcycle gang member, so that was no fun and kind of put a damper on what had otherwise seemed like a dream of a trip. O well, I still have good memories of Mendoza and it's been long enough that it really is a memory at this point…

The next /last weekend I checked out the ecological reserve, which is this random patch of land by the river that the city remade into nature = very cool. Celebrated two of my friends’ birthdays in two very distinct celebrations. One consisted of Friday’s, because she wanted ‘American’ food, and an Indiana Jones themed boliche. The music was pretty good and I love dancing, but I’ve decided the general club scene is not for me, not at home or here. The next birthday (Marina’s) started off with Cuban food and Salsa on Sunday, and lots of Spanish because Cynthia came.

She’s a big Celtics fan, so Monday we went to watch the playoffs at this place called El Alamo, and ended up talking to the owner the whole night because that’s how Marina’s life works. (For anyone who watches 30 Rock – I’ve been trying to explain to her how she lives in the pretty people bubble). It was a grand time. Then on Thursday we went back for the next game and took advantage of the free beer. A bunch of my other friends came too and we finally went to a dance boliche that I liked! This place is called Lost and Thursdays are a hip hop night. When we got there, there was a break battle going on. Not as good as the one at Macalester that we put together, but there were some people who looked like they knew what they were doing. Then it turned into everyone dancing with awesome music that I haven’t heard in like five years, but that’s my favorite. I danced with this guy and we had both been speaking Spanish and not until my friends came over to tell me they were leaving did he ask, ‘oh you speak English?’ me: ‘yea, you?’ him: ‘I’m from ohio!’ Then I left. On the way home I realized I should have known he was from the States because he knew the words to most of the songs and could actually dance. I swear his Spanish was good enough that it wasn’t obvious though. And you couldn’t hear much anyway. Anyway, it was a fun/funny night.

The next night I went to this interesting theater show about the construction of Argentine male identity for one of my classes. And now I’m sick. I skipped going to an Argentine’s birthday party last night – that’s how icky I feel. Marta explained to me this morning that it’s my fault because I didn’t abrigar (bundle up) enough in the new weather because it’s changing into fall here. This is how many of our conversations go – her giving me unsolicited information about everything that I’ve done wrong – it’s rather amusing. But hopefully having watched When Harry Met Sally and Grease (the Spanish subtitles don’t do the song We Go Together justice) will help me recover in time to pass, I mean, do well on midterms and be healthy for my trip to Chile starting this coming Friday.

Either way, all is well, más o menos. And did I mention I’m half way there? I can’t believe how time flies. I guess that means I will see you pretty soon :)

Besos, Sarah

Cabalgata in Mendoza (my friend Heidi on her horse):
Nature + City = La reserva ecológica

No comments:

Post a Comment